Grunties are pig-like creatures that players have the ability to raise in Root Towns.
The World Grunties
Grunties (Puchiguso/プチグソ) are used as transportation across Fields, finding Grunty Food and also avoiding Magic Portals. While Grunties weren't allowed to leave their Home Server during the .hack//Games, it seems this restriction was lifted later on, as Hotaru and Komiyan III were both able to bring their Grunties with them when they changed servers during .hack//Legend of the Twilight. According to the mythology of The World, Grunties are the messengers of the great god Hebiguso, and the inhabitants of The World care for them in order to gain his favor.
List of Grunties in The World
|All Servers||Delta Server||Theta Server||Lambda Server||Sigma Server||Omega Server|
Other Notable Grunties
- Oscar: In Legend of the Twilight, Oscar is Komiyan III's Noble Grunty that has the same laugh as he does.
- Mr. Grunty: In Legend of the Twilight, Hotaru found a sick Baby Grunty that had been abandoned by its owner. With Shugo's help she was able to nurse it back to health. It eventually grew into a powerful Longhorn Grunty, growing angelic wings in the anime and devil-like ones in the manga.
- Crim's Grunty: In .hack//SIGN Crim rode this Grunty when charging Tsukasa, it resembles a Rocker Grunty.
- Tsukasa's Grunty: Tsukasa is seen riding a Stray Grunty in the episode Role Play; how he got it is unknown.
- Sieg might also have had a Grunty since a Grunty was shown with Mai as she was using his file in Liminality.
The World R:2 Grunties
- "Grunties are famous for their triangular hats and their distinctive speech. They were cursed by Sol, the God of Creation and were turned into Puchi Pongo and became beasts of burden for humans. However, they assumed their original form when humans defeated the gods. They are often entrusted to managerial positions of important facilities and secretaries to VIPs due to their peaceful nature and excellent communication abilities."
- — The World R:2 Official Site —
Grunties (グランティ族) in The World R:2 are kept as pets, and act as guild mascots and "greeters" to people visiting foreign guilds. Grunties retain the same basic appearance as in the previous rendition of The World, but they are shorter, thinner, and stand on two legs. They manage guild @Homes and take on the appearance and personality of the guildmaster. An exception is Mecha Grunty, who is found deserted in areas and can be saved by players willing to power it up with Chim Spheres.
The three Grunty Regalia are event items in The World R:2, used in Haseo's quest to become a guildmaster. They consist of the Grunty Hat (obtained from Gao Grunty), the Grunty Shoes (obtained from Melo Grunty), and the Grunty Brush (obtained from Wise Grunty). They are a parody of the Imperial Regalia of Japan.
List of Grunties in The World R:2
- Death Grunty (Canard - Haseo)
- Wise Grunty (Raven - Yata)
- Nazorunty (Twilight Brigade - Ovan)
- Mecha Grunty (Field NPC)
- Gao Grunty (Kestrel - Gabi)
- Melo Grunty (Moon Tree - Zelkova)